The police will have emergency powers to arrest or fine anyone who doesn’t apply with the new measures.
Everyone should now stay in their homes unless:
- Shopping for food or medicine
- Exercise for yourself or pets alone or with members of your household only. Not friends
- Medical appointments or as a carer visiting a vulnerable person
- Travel to and from work for essential workers only
During this National Emergency…
- All gatherings of more than two people in public are forbidden, including all social events, weddings and baptisms
- Tens of thousands of non-essential shops to close
- Communal play and exercise areas inside parks will also be shut down, but not parks themselves
- Places of worship such as churches and mosques must also shut, except to host for funerals
- Travel on roads, buses, and trains banned, unless it is essential to get to work
Anyone breaking the rules will be fined at least £30 (and up to £1,000 if they fail to self-isolate).