How to Make Money Babysitting in the UK
Babysitting is a job that is usually associated with teenagers. However, it is also something that adults can do in their free time to earn some extra money. It is a flexible job that you can fit around your existing commitments. The following guide will give you all the information you need about becoming a babysitter and earning money from providing this service.
Why Should You Become A Babysitter?
- It is well-paid. Experienced babysitters can charge an hourly rate which is more than minimum wage.
- It is flexible. You can choose hours which fit around any existing commitments.
- It looks good on your CV. Babysitting requires a number of skills which are appealing to employers.
- It can help with punctuality and organisation. It is vital to be well organised and punctual when you are babysitting and these are skills which you can transfer to other areas of your life.
How To Become A Babysitter…
In order to become a babysitter, you need to let people know that you are available. Some of the ways that you can do this are listed below.
- Create an online profile. Most people will start their search for a babysitter online, so it is good to have a profile that people can search for.
- Get some business cards. These cards should contain all your contact details and you should give them out to as many people as possible.
- Contact family and friends. Many people prefer to leave their children with people that they know.
- Join online communities.
- Get a DBS check. If you are babysitting for people that you don’t know personally, they are likely to ask for a DBS check.
- Join an agency. There are agencies which can provide you with jobs in your area.
What Is The Difference Between Babysitting And Childminding?
Babysitting and childminding are two distinct jobs and there are also legal differences between them.
Childminders tend to look after children in their own homes, and they need to be registered with Ofsted, as well as undergoing a lot of other training such as paediatric first aid. It is something that people tend to do as their full time job.
Babysitting on the other hand is a much less formal arrangement and can be done as a side hustle. You are not allowed to look after children under eight in your own home for more than two hours a week without registering with Ofsted, which is why you should always babysit for children in their home.
How Much Should You Charge For Babysitting?
There are many different factors that are involved in the price that you can charge for your babysitting services. Prices will also vary depending on where you live.
It is a good idea to check out what the competition is charging in your area and keep your prices around the same level. Always make sure that you are charging enough to cover your expenses and your time.
How Can You Increase Your Earnings as a Babysitter?
- There are some things that you can do to increase the amount you earn as a babysitter.
- Stay overnight or for the weekend.
- Work bank holidays and school breaks.
- Be flexible.
- Offer to babysit during dinner parties.
- Ask for travel expenses.
How To Be A Good Babysitter…
Use the following tips to ensure that your services are popular with both the children and the parents.
1. Engage with the children. They are more likely to misbehave if they feel they are not getting enough attention. Talk to them about things that are interesting to them and ask questions so that they know you are really listening.
2. Know what the rules are. It is in children’s nature to try and push the rules with someone new so make sure you know what rules parents have in place for their children.
3. Plan activities for the children. If you always have fun things planned to do with the children, they are going to look forward to you coming round and this is something that could impress their parents.
4. Keep the house tidy. Tidy up after yourself and the children so that when the parents do get home this is one less thing for them to do.
5. Tell the parents what you have been doing. Parents will be happy to know what there children have been doing while they are not around. This also shows that you have been doing activities with the children rather than just sticking them in front of the TV.
6. Be reliable. There is nothing worse than being let down for childcare at the last minute, so if for any reason you do need to cancel always try to give plenty of notice.
Babysitting is a great way to boost your income and helps improve skills such as time-keeping and communication. It’s always a bonus to earn and learn at the same time!