Coronavirus information for Universal Credit Claimants…

The Government has updated information on the Coronavirus and UC claimants…

If you’re in work and not claiming benefits

Employers have been urged to use their discretion and respect the medical need to self-isolate in making decisions about sick pay.

If you are not eligible to receive sick pay you can apply for Universal Credit and/or apply for New Style Employment and Support Allowance

You can also apply for these if you are prevented from working because of a risk to public health.

If you are a gig worker and/or on a zero hours contract, you may be entitled to sick pay. Check your eligibility for statutory sick pay

If you’re already claiming Universal Credit

If you’re already claiming Universal Credit and think you may have been affected by coronavirus, please contact your work coach as soon as possible. You can do this by:

Using their online journal, or

Calling the Universal Credit helpline

If you can’t attend a jobcentre appointment because you need to self-isolate, don’t worry.

Tell us as soon as possible to avoid a sanction.

Contact your work coach via your online journal or by phone to explain your situation.

If you are in work and already claiming Universal Credit, and are self-isolating, you should report this in the usual way via your online journal. If this means you are working fewer hours, the amount of Universal Credit you receive will adjust as your earnings change.

Jobcentre Plus staff are ready to support you if you need to self-isolate.

If you’re making a new claim

Don’t delay making your Universal Credit claim, even if you think you may be affected by coronavirus.

You can apply for Universal Credit online. If you need to make an appointment, call the number you are given when you submit your claim, and explain the situation. Jobcentre Plus staff are ready to support you if you need to self-isolate.