Smart meters are getting their way into most households really fast, thanks to the British Infrastructure Group. Many people have had them installed, and so far they are getting on really good with them.
If you are tired of huge energy bills and are looking for a way to cut costs, then you better start learning about these smart meters. The national rollout has already begun and will run up to 2020. Sooner than later, you will find one of these in your house. For this reason, I thought it wise to shed light on this new technology. Populus has recently conducted research on behalf of Smart Energy GB to find out how people who are already using their smart meters feel about it.
What exactly are they?…
Smart meters are not any different from your usual gas and electricity meters, safe for the fact that they are more accurate. They send your meter readings to your supplier. This eliminates the possibility of any error occurring, thus an accurate bill. Furthermore, you are able to monitor and control your energy usage since it shows you how much power you are using and how much it is costing you.
Thanks to this new technology, there will be no more inaccurate bills, impromptu visits from those meter-reading people, and better still, you won’t have to go through the hustle of submitting your meter readings.
What do people say about these new meters?…
According to those who have had smart meters installed in their households, it is the smartest move you can ever make when it comes to money saving. They are more satisfied than ever and are receiving more accurate bills. Also, they feel more in control of their energy usage and bills as compared to their analogue counterparts.
The best thing about these meters is that you can monitor and reduce your energy consumption. This saves you from unexpected large bills. According to a recent survey, over 10,000 people using smart meter have expressed complete satisfaction.
Important facts from the survey…
- About 52 percent of people using smart meters have reported success in money saving since they started using it.
- 80 percent of people using the new smart meter have managed to reduce the amount of energy they use daily.
- 79 percent of people using smart metes recommend it to those still using the old meters.
- 85 percent of those using smart meters have gained control and understanding on the amount of energy they spend every day.
- 81 percent of those with smart meters are now getting more accurate bills than when they were using the analogue ones.
- A higher percentage of those using the new meters (75 percent) said they understood their bills, compared to those using the old meters (61 percent)
- 72 percent of those using smart meter said they were in a position to now choose the most ideal tariff for them, while only 57 of those using the same old meters said the same.
Is it cost effective?…
Well, it doesn’t literally mean that when you have a smart meter your bill automatically drops. However, you can save money in the sense that you can monitor and control your real-time energy usage.
For instance, if you counted the number of times you boiled a kettle, walked away only to come back and boil it again, you would be surprised at the amount of electricity wasted. The same thing applies to leaving lights on in every room in the house.
Smart meters act as a visible reminder to be energy conscious, and that every energy unit used costs money!
Where to get one…
These devices come to you completely free of charge. Your supplier is not expected to charge you a single cent when coming to install them in your house.
By 2020, every single household, as well as microbusinesses in every corner of Scotland, Wales and England, will have been offered the chance to upgrade to these amazing game changers. Your supplier will contact you when they are doing an installation in your area. However, you can go ahead and acquire one on your own. All you need to do is visit your supplier’s website or give them a call for faster installation.